This Onion Relish is from So Easy to Preserve put out by the University of Georgia.
As you would expect, it’s a natural with hamburgers, hot dogs, and sausages on a bun.
And, as a bonus, it just might be one of the easiest relishes you’ll ever make in your life. You’ll be done so fast you’ll feel guilty!
This is a recipe that you can make in the winter if you see large bags of onions go on sale and the canning bug bites you.
See also: Sweet Onion Relish
Jar size choices: Quarter-litre (1/2 US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz) OR half-litre (US pint / 500 ml / 16 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 3 x half-litre (US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes
Yield: 3 x half-litre jars
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Fat: 0 g
- 1 kg finely sliced onion (8 cups / 2 lbs. Measurements are for after prep.)
- 250 ml white vinegar (1 cup / 8 oz)
- 350 g white sugar (1½ cups / ¾ lb) OR 1½ teaspoons liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon salt OR salt sub
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed
- Slice onions.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Add onions to the pot of boiling water and let cook 4 minutes.
- Drain. Set aside.
- Put remaining ingredients in a large pot, and bring to a boil.
- Add the onion to the pot, and let simmer uncovered for 4 minutes.
- Pack hot onion into heated jars, leaving 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
- Ladle liquid in, leaving 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
- Onions should be fully covered by vinegar solution in jars -- heat up more vinegar in microwave or pot if you are going to be short.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For salt substitute, Herbamare Sodium-Free was used as it is non-bitter and non-clouding.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used as it is non-bitter, easy to use, doesn’t increase density and impacts neither pH nor nutrition.
- You’ll need about 1 1/4 kg / 2.5 lbs or a bit more unpeeled onion to start.
- Pack onion slices relatively tight into the jar.
- The vinegar can be barely enough. Be prepared to heat 50% more in a microwave at the last minute for top up. Mind surge effect when removing from microwave.
- Onion Relish. In: Andress, Elizabeth L. and Judy A. Harrison. So Easy to Preserve. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. Bulletin 989. Sixth Edition. 2014. Page 166.
Per 2 tablespoons
- 37 calories, 52 mg sodium
Salt and sugar-free
Per 2 tablespoons
- 10 calories, 1 mg sodium