Delicious sour cherry pie coming out of the oven in under an hour, and with only 10 minutes active work on your part?
No, it’s not a pipe-dream. It’s life with home canning, when you have jars of home-canned sour cherry pie filling on the shelf.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning. You cannot can pie slices.)
This recipe uses:
Yield: 1 x pie 20 to 25 cm (8 to 9 inch)
Oven temperature: 190 C (375 F)
Baking time: 30 to 35 minutes
Yield: 1 pie
- 1 litre jar of Sour Cherry Pie Filling (1 quart)
- Top and bottom pie crust
- Start oven heating to 190 C (375 F).
- Line bottom of pie tin with pie dough.
- Empty jar of pie filling into pie tin.
- Put top crust on.
- Seal edges.
- Brush top of pie with milk.
- Bake until crust is brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool before serving.
If you do not have a pie crust recipe, here is a recipe for simple easy pie crust dough.
Nutritional values per slice will vary wildly based on whether you made the pie filling with or without sugar, and what kind of crust you used.
Here is the cherry pie filling nutritional information.
If you use sugar-free cherry pie filling, and use sheets of phyllo pastry for the crust:
1/8th pie = 144 calories
If you use the regular pie filling with sugar, and a regular pie crust such as this one:
1/8th pie = 490 calories
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com