And here you thought you can’t can salad! This bean salad is a time-honoured crowd pleaser.
When you serve it, drain, then toss with a tablespoon of oil.
Easily doubled and tripled. This really is great to have on hand as a salad to take to parties, etc, at the last minute.
Jar size: Half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 5 x half-litre (US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: 15 minutes (all jar sizes)
Four Bean Salad
Yield: 5 x half-litre (US pint) jars
- 750 ml white vinegar (5% acidity or higher. (3 cups / 24 oz)
- 550 g sugar (white. 2 1/2 cups / 20 oz)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 teaspoons pickling salt
- 300 ml water ( 1 1/4 cups / 10 oz)
- 700 g green beans (4 1/2 cups / 1 1/2 lbs. Cut into 4 cm / 1 1/2 inch slices. Measurements after prep.)
- 700 g yellow beans (4 1/2 cups / 1 1/2 lbs. Cut into 4 cm / 1 1/2 inch slices. Measurements after prep.)
- 200 g celery (About 2 cups, 7 oz in weight. About 3 stalks. Cut into 2 cm / 3/4 inch pieces. Measurements after prep.)
- 250 g onion (sliced thinly. 1 2/3 cups, 1/2 lb, 1 large. Measurements after prep.)
- 150 g red bell pepper (diced. 1 medium / 1 cup / 5 oz. Measured after seeding, coring.)
- 250 g kidney beans (cooked, drained. 1 1/2 cups / 1/2 lb)
- 250 g chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans. Cooked, drained. 1 1/2 cups / 1/2 lb)
- Pickle Crisp (optional)
- bay leaves (optional)
Make the picking solution by combining in a large pot everything from the vinegar down to and including the water. Set aside.
Prep the green beans, yellow beans, celery, onion and bell pepper. You can combine all in a large pot. Set aside.
Put a large kettle or pot of water on to boil.
Put the brine on a low burner to start simmering.
Pour the water that you boiled over the veggies in their pot. Bring the veggie pot to a boil over medium high heat, then add the kidney and garbanzo beans and reduce to a gentler boil for 5 minutes.
Drain the veggies.
Divvy the drained veg mixture out among the jars.
Leave 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
In each jar, also tuck a bay leaf (optional) and put 1/8th teaspoon Pickle Crisp (optional).
Bring pickling mixture to a full boil, then turn off heat.
Divvy the pickling solution out amongst the jars, leaving 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace. If you are short of pickling solution, add a bit of heated white vinegar (not water) directly to the jars that need it. (Quick zap in microwave for the heated vinegar; mind the surge as you remove it.)
Debubble, adjust headspace.
Wipe jar rims.
Put lids on.
Process in a water bath or steam canner.
Process jars for 15 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
Best after at least a month of jar time.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
- Instead of the salt, you can use a non-bitter, non-clouding salt sub. We have found Herbamare Sodium-Free performs well in that regard.
- You can reduce the sugar, or use the same volume amount of granulated Splenda®, or use 3 teaspoons of liquid stevia. For stevia, we’d recommend Better Stevia liquid stevia.
- Instead of the kidney beans and chickpeas, you could use fresh shelled Lima beans.
Pickled Three Bean Salad. In: Ball Blue Book. Muncie, Indiana: Healthmark LLC / Jarden Home Brands. Edition 37. 2014. Page 136.
Kingry, Judi and Lauren Devine. Ball / Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2015. Page 310.
- Swapped out 500 g (1 lb) lima beans and swapped in 250 g (1/2 lb) each of kidney and garbanzo beans
See also Pickled Three Bean Salad from the USDA at the National Center, which uses kidney and garbanzo beans, and adds oil.
Serving size: 250 g / 1 cup
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 250 g / 1 cup: 226 calories, 220 mg sodium
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 cup (250 g), 5 points; 2 cups (500 g), 11 points.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.
* Pickle Crisp ® is a registered trademark of the Jarden Corporation.