This rice dish is healthy and fast. It’s made in a pressure cooker.
If you prefer to cook rice in a regular pot but still want to try this recipe, you will need to adjust cooking time, and probably the amount of cooking liquid as well.
To be clear: this is a cooking with canning recipe, not a recipe for canning.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 10 x 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz) servings
This recipe uses your home canning to bring together a zero-work tasty rice dish with a Mexican flair.
Put rice in pot.
[Optional: Add a tablespoon or two of oil, sauté the rice a bit first.]
Add jar of Mexican sauce in pot.
Stir in chicken bouillon powder.
Drain mushrooms and bell peppers, saving water.
Add drained mushrooms and bell peppers to pot.
Add 125 ml (½ cup / 4 oz) of the reserved water to pot. (If not using the home canned mushrooms or peppers, then just add 125 ml (½ cup / 4 oz) of tap water.)
Add any other seasonings desired such as cumin, fresh cilantro, oregano, dried celery, garlic powder, etc.
Put lid on pressure cooker.
Cook on high for 18 minutes.
- Instead of fresh onion, you could use a few tablespoons of dried. Or a teaspoon or two of onion powder.
- WHITE RICE INSTEAD OF BROWN. Use same amount of rice. Increase added water by another 125 ml (½ cup / 4 oz) . Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
Serving size: 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz)
- 151 calories, 220 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 4 points; SmartPoints®: 5 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.