Mildy-tart pickled green tomatoes are a real delicacy and very hard to come by, unless you make them or live near a good deli.
The recipe says these are “kosher-style”, but doesn’t say what it is that makes them kosher style. Perhaps it is the weaker pickling liquid.
This recipe comes from So Easy to Preserve.
Jar size choices: ½ litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz) OR 1 litre (US quart / 32 oz)
Processing method: Either water-bath or steam canning
Yield: 12 x ½ litre (US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (½ inch)
Processing time: Either size jar 15 minutes
Pickled Green Tomatoes
Yield: 12 x half-litre jars (US pint) jars OR 6 x litre jars (US quart)
- 2 kg green tomatoes (small firm green tomatoes. Approx 2 kg / 5 lbs)
- 6 stalks celery (cut into lengths of 5 cm / 2-inch)
- 6 green bell peppers (washed, cored, seeded and cut into quarters or strips)
- cloves garlic
- heads dill (fresh. Or dill seed)
- Pickle Crisp (optional)
- pickling salt (OR non-bitter, non-clouding salt sub)
- 2 litres water (2 US quarts / 64 oz)
- 1 litre white vinegar (5% or higher. 1 US quart / 32 oz)
Wash tomatoes. Remove any leaves and stems.
Wash celery stalks, cut into pieces 5 cm (2 inches) long.
Wash green pepper, seed, cut each into 8 strips.
In each half-litre (pint jar) put the following seasonings: 2 to 3 pieces of celery, a few green pepper pieces, 1 tablespoon salt, ⅛th teaspoon Pickle Crisp® (optional), 1 clove of garlic and 1 head of dill (or 1 teaspoon dill seed). Double all those seasonings if using litre (US quart) jars.
Pack in tomatoes, leaving 2 cm (½ inch) headspace.
Put vinegar and water into a large pot, and bring it to a boil.
Fill jars with the hot vinegar mixture, leaving 2 cm (½ inch) headspace.
Debubble, adjust headspace.
If you are short of pickling liquid, just quickly zap some more in microwave in the same ratio as above: two-thirds water to one-third vinegar.
Wipe jar rims.
Put lids on.
Process in a water bath or steam canner.
Process either size jar for 15 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude (see table below.)
Let stand 4 to 6 weeks before opening and sampling.
Processing guideline times below differ slightly from the usual altitude changes. The times apply equally to water-bath canners or steam canners.
|Required processing time in minutes per altitude|
|Jar Size||0 - 300 m / 0 - 1,000 ft||301 - 900 m / 1,001 - 3,000 ft||901 - 1,800 m / 3,001 - 6,000 ft||Above 1,800 m / 6,000|
|½ litre (US pint)||15 min||20 min||20 min||25 min|
|1 litre (US quart)||15 min||20 min||20 min||25 min|
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For salt substitute, a non-bitter, non-clouding one such as Herbamare Sodium-Free was used.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
- Note that the sizes and shapes of the tomatoes used will affect how many go into a jar, and therefore how much pickling liquid is needed.
- How many jars you get, especially in the ½ litre (US pint) size will depend how adept you are at fitting the tomatoes into the jars, and keeping them fitted in after debubbling.
- This recipe uses an unusual vinegar ratio: ⅔ water to ⅓ vinegar. They are presumably counting on the very high acidity of the green tomatoes.
- Green tomatoes should be about 2 to 5 cm (1 to 2 inches) wide or less.
- Yes, leave tomatoes whole. You do not need to peel, slice or quarter them.
- The tomatoes will be an olive green after processing.
Kosher Style Dill Green Tomato Pickles. In: Andress, Elizabeth L. and Judy A. Harrison. So Easy to Preserve. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. Bulletin 989. Sixth Edition. 2014. Page 141.
- Changed small pearl onions to a few strips of onion;
- Added option for smaller ½ litre (US pint) jars (processing time stays the same);
- Lowered the salt a bit.
Per ¼ of a 1 litre (US quart) jar:
- 15 calories, 585 mg sodium
Per ¼ of a 1 litre (US quart) jar:
- 15 calories, 4 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: ¼ of a 1 litre (US quart) jar: 0 points; ½ of a 1 litre (US quart) jar: 2 points.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.