We made this recipe for fun. It actually turned out to be pretty good. It draws on the cult-classic DIY mix called “SOS mix.”
You can actually use real ham instead of spam, if you wish.
You could serve this with steamed broccoli or a jar of home-canned green beans.
You could also use chunks of home-canned chicken, turkey or pork instead of the spam or ham.
To be clear: this is a cooking with a DIY mix recipe, not a recipe for canning.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 4 x 2 cup (400 g / 14 oz) servings
A delicious baked pasta dish featuring Spam. Yes, really, and it's delicious.
- 350 g macaroni (uncooked. Or curly noodles. 3 cups / 12 oz)
- 1.5 litres water (6 cups / 48 oz)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt (OR salt sub)
- 50 g SOS Mix (⅓ cup / 5 tablespoons)
- 300 ml water (1 ¼ cups / 10 oz)
- 250 ml milk (1 cup / 8 oz)
- 2 teaspoons butter (OR margarine)
- onions (chopped. ¼ cup / 2 oz)
- 50 g green pepper (chopped. ¼ cup / 2 oz)
- 150 g spam (OR ham. Diced. 1 cup / 5 oz)
- 50 g cheese (Grated. ½ cup / 2 oz)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (fine)
Boil noodles in first amount of water with salt OR salt sub until al dente.
Drain, set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the SOS Mix, second amount of water, and milk together until well blended. Set aside.
In a frying pan, melt the margarine.
Add the onion, pepper and meat. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the SOS mixture.
Heat through, then remove from heat.
Stir in grated cheese, noodles, salt and pepper.
Spoon into a 2-litre / quart shallow baking dish.
Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
Bake at 175 C / 350°F for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Spam (or Ham) Casserole. In: Proctor, Debra G. and Ellen Serfustini. Soup or Sauce (SOS) Mix Recipe Booklet. Utah State University Cooperative Extension. March 2011. Page 17.
Serving size: 2 cups (400 g / 14 oz)
- 379 calories, 1678 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10 points; SmartPoints®: 13 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.