Home-canned Strawberry-Banana jam offers a delicious combination of these two fruits.
It also offers a rare opportunity to experience banana in a home-canned product: banana can be difficulty to can safely, as it’s a low-acid, dense fruit, but Pomona Pectin has developed this safe, tested recipe for incorporating banana into a jam.
There will be some bubbles in the jam owing to the texture of the banana, but don’t let the canning appearance snobs put you off making this: it’s delicious.
Try this: a piece of toast, with a thin layer of peanut butter spread on it, and then topped with a dollop of this jam. Yum.
You can make this with honey, or you can make it sugar-free.
Per 2 tablespoons, this is 34 calories when made with honey and 17 calories when made sugar-free.
Jar size choices: Either 125 ml (½ cup / 4 oz) or quarter-litre (½ US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 4 x quarter-litre (½ US pint) jars
Headspace: 1 cm (¼ inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes
- 700 g strawberries (mashed. 24 oz. 2 ¾ cup after mashing.
- 300 g banana (peeled and mashed. 1 1 /4 cups mashed / 10 oz. Measured after peeling and mashing.)
- 1 tablespoon calcium water (15 ml. see notes)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (bottled)
- 3 teaspoons Pomona Pectin
- 125 ml honey (½ cup / 4 oz OR 1 teaspoon liquid stevia)
- Mash strawberries, add to a large pot.
- Mash bananas, add to pot.
- Add calcium water, stir.
- Put the lemon juice into a bowl.
- Whisk in the pectin powder all at once and then either the liquid stevia or honey, set aside.
- Bring pot to a boil, add pectin mixture a teaspoon at a time, stirring in till dissolved.
- When it's all in, let boil 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle into 125 ml (4 oz) or quarter-litre (½ US pint / 8 oz) jars.
- Leave 1 cm ( ¼ inch) headspace.
- Debubble, then adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process either size jars for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
Information about Pomona pectin.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
- For the banana, you’ll want about 2 ½ large ones.
- If using frozen strawberries, just zap in microwave for about 2 minutes to quickly thaw them. Include all juice that comes off them after thawing in your measurements.
- Pomona pectin comes with a small pouch of powdered calcium for you to mix with water to make calcium water.
- The pectin powder will clump if you just mix it straight in; that’s why you mix it with something first.
Duffy, Allison Carroll. Strawberry-Banana Jam. Pomona Pectin Recipes. 6 April 2015. Accessed September 2015.
Per 2 tablespoons:
- 34 calories, 9 mg sodium
Sugar-free version with liquid stevia
Per 2 tablespoons:
- 17 calories, 9 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 2 tablespoons, 0 points; 3 to 7 tablespoons, 1 point; 8 to 11 tablespoons, 2 points.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
Leave a Reply