Cornbread, chili, and cheese — a killer combo! And really fast to make with items right out of your pantry.
Serve with a salad.
You could make a vegetarian version of this by taking 2 jars of home-canned beans (such as pinto or kidney), mashing and seasoning them, and using that instead as the filling instead of the chili.
See also: Tamale Pie (to make without the cornbread mix)
This recipe uses:
Delicious meal of cornbread and chili, all in one dish
Start oven heating to 175 C (350 F).
Spray 23 cm (9 inch) square pan. Set aside.
Put cornbread mix in bowl, make well in middle. Add 350 ml (1 1/2 cups / 12 oz) of water, and 2 tbsp oil. Stir just to blend thoroughly.
Spread half of the mixture on bottom of pan to cover bottom.
Bake 10 minutes in heated oven.
Remove from oven.
Top with the 2 jars of home-canned chili, then the grated cheese.
Sprinkle on the peppers if using.
Top the whole with dollops of the remaining cornbread mixture.
Return to oven.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until top is set and golden brown.
- If using home-canned, you could use home-pressure canned, or pickled, but just drain first. Use peppers however hot you wish.
- If using frozen or fresh peppers, chop (while still frozen if using frozen), then if time permits, to wake up their flavour, give them a quick sauté in a fry pan with a bit of oil and ground cumin.
- You can sprinkle hot sauce or salsa on the middle layer before applying the top layer;
- You could season the cornbread mix with chopped fresh or dried herbs, ground cumin, etc etc.
- 292 calories, 171 mg sodium