Cornbread, chili, and cheese — a killer combo! And really fast to make with items right out of your pantry.
Serve with a salad.
You could make a vegetarian version of this by taking 2 jars of home-canned beans (such as pinto or kidney), mashing and seasoning them, and using that instead as the filling instead of the chili.
See also: Tamale Pie (to make without the cornbread mix)
This recipe uses:
- Wash hands.
- Start oven heating to 175 C (350 F).
- Spray 23 cm (9 inch) square pan. Set aside.
- Put cornbread mix in bowl, make well in middle. Add 350 ml (1 ½ cups / 12 oz) of water, and 2 tbsp oil. Stir just to blend thoroughly.
- Spread half of the mixture on bottom of pan to cover bottom.
- Bake 10 minutes in heated oven.
- Remove from oven.
- Top with the 2 jars of home-canned chili, then the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle on the peppers if using.
- Top the whole with dollops of the remaining cornbread mixture.
- Return to oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until top is set and golden brown.
- If using home-canned, you could use home-pressure canned, or pickled, but just drain first. Use peppers however hot you wish.
- If using frozen or fresh peppers, chop (while still frozen if using frozen), then if time permits, to wake up their flavour, give them a quick sauté in a fry pan with a bit of oil and ground cumin.
- You can sprinkle hot sauce or salsa on the middle layer before applying the top layer;
- You could season the cornbread mix with chopped fresh or dried herbs, ground cumin, etc etc.
- 292 calories, 171 mg sodium