People get so serious about home canning at times that they can forget to laugh.
Thing is, just as there are cold hard facts, and just as we debate over some of them, there’s also a whole raft of absurdities that are just a part of canning life!
Here’s a growing collection of some of the crazy things in the world of home canning to bring a knowing smile to your face.
- When you start home canning, all your pots that you thought were big suddenly look like tea cups.
- You’re suddenly stocking up on bottled lemon and lime juice, when before they were banned from your house.
- You start remembering the names of people you meet, in case they become someone you can give zucchini relish to.
- You’re standing there rubbing your eyes because the home canning recipe is telling you to first warm up the jars and then has you doing 2 days of prep, brining and simmering.
- You keep forgetting that no one outside your Facebook canning groups knows what Clearjel is.
- As the number of emptied jars grows in the spring, you despair that you have too many. In the fall, you start to panic you don’t have enough.
- The day that all this healthy food is being canned is the day that everyone in the house gets hot dogs or pizza for dinner.