This pickling spice recipe is middle of the road in terms of taste; not too heavy in any particular spicing tradition or direction. You can of course feel free to omit, substitute or add particular dry ingredients according to taste.
Read about how to use Pickling Spice.
You may want to double the batch at the start of canning season, so you have enough to get you through.
Yield: 75 g (1/2 cup)
- 10 bay leaves, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 5 cm (2 inches) of cinnamon stick, roughly broken up (optional)
- Mix all.
- Store in airtight container or jar.
- Use as directed by recipes (mix up first before measuring to ensure even distribution of items in it.)