This DIY gravy mix lets you whip up a small batch of chicken gravy in minutes.
It’s far healthier for you (and cheaper) than the commercial stuff in packets. It’s really low in calories and fat.
Yield: Makes 200 g / 20 tablespoons ( 7 oz)
That’s enough for 8 x ¾ cup (175 ml / 6 oz) batches of gravy.
1 tablespoon = 10 g / ⅓ oz
Chicken Gravy Mix
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Store in a sealed container, jar or bag in a cool, dark place.
To use, mix 2 ½ tablespoons (25 g / 1 oz) with 250 ml (1 cup / 8 oz) of cold water. Whisk.
Zap in microwave for 1 minute; whisk; zap for another 2 minutes, then whisk again. If you want it a bit thicker still, then zap for a further minute or two. (Or, cook in saucepan on stove top until desired thickness.)
Makes ¾ cup / 175 ml / 6 oz of gravy.
The gravy will come out quite light. (Though how light may depend on the bouillon powder you use.) If you want it a bit darker, add a few drops of gravy darkener such as Kitchen Bouquet when you go to add the water to mix it up.
For flour, use “regular flour”. That would be all-purpose in Canada or the US; plain flour in the UK. Instant Flour (aka sauce flour, instant blending flour, etc) can be a bit nicer in this as it reduces the possibility of lumps to chase out, but may not be worth the extra cost.
Gluten-free option: use gluten-free flour, or sweet rice flour
If you don’t have all the seasonings suggested, feel free to omit or try a substitute.
Once you’ve tried this and decided whether you like it or not, you may wish to double or triple the dry mix batch sizes.
Derived from testing a combination of various sources.
Cooking with canning
Per 1 batch made up. (¾ cup / 175 ml / 6 oz of gravy).
- 151 calories, 1139 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 4 points+ per batch
- Weight Watchers SmartPoints®: 4 SmartPoints per batch
Sodium levels will vary for you based on the chicken broth granules you use. We calculated based on a standard bouillon powder; you can do better if you are able to find a low-sodium one to use.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.