This turkey and stuffing dinner is a meal that you literally do throw together from your home canning.
Set it and forget it.
Serve with veg of your choice, either home-canned, fresh or frozen.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 7 x 1 cup (250 g / 8 oz) servings
Slow cooker turkey and stuffing from home canning
- 2 boxes Stove Top stuffing
- 1 litre jar home-canned turkey (1 quart. Chicken is fine)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned mushrooms (1 pint jar. Optional)
- 9 tablespoons chicken gravy mix
- Empty packages of dry stuffing into bottom of slow cooker pot, spreading out evenly.
- Drain the liquid from the turkey and the mushrooms (if using) into a microwave-safe jug or dish.
- Set turkey and mushrooms aside.
- Top up liquid with water (or other broth) to make 1 litre (4 cups / 32 oz).
- Add the 9 tablespoons of gravy mix.
- Nuke 2 minutes in microwave. Whisk.
- Nuke another 3 minutes. Whisk. If still thinnish, nuke another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Spread half the gravy out over the dry stuffing in the slow cooker pot.
- Spread turkey and mushrooms out evenly on top of gravy layer.
- Top with remaining gravy.
- Cook on high until bubbly and stuffing is soft and moist.
We designed this recipe to make lots of gravy to go with side veg, etc. If you find it’s too much, just cut back the gravy you make in half. (We dialled back the gravy in the photos because gravy in photos can look goo-ey sometimes.)
Tip! To speed up slow cooker cooking if necessary, zap the turkey and mushrooms in microwave for about 3 minutes first to heat through before adding to slow cooker pot.
If you don’t use the mushrooms, then instead of the mushroom stock from the jar, add 250 ml (1 cup / 8 oz) tap water to the turkey jar stock.
Of course, doctor up the ingredients however you want and with whatever you have on hand.
Serving size: 1 cup (250 g / 8 oz)
- 140 calories, 1130 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 3 points;
- Weight Watchers SmartPoints®: 3 points.
Leave a Reply