Pork Pie with Sweet Potato Crust is a hearty, easy cool weather dish. The recipe takes a few jars of plain home canned veg from your pantry shelves and transforms them quickly into a deep-dish meat pie they will want more of.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Home canned okra
Yield: 6 x 1 cup (350 g) servings
Serving size: 1 cup / 350 g
Fat: 7.1 g
- 1 litre jar home canned pork cubes (1 US quart)
- ½ litre jar home canned asparagus (1 US pint)
- ½ litre jar home canned okra (1 US pint)
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon Maggi
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt sub
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint sweet potato
- 1 pint squash
- ½ teaspoon ground rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt sub
- 2 tablespoons parmesan (optional)
- 125 ml fat-free yoghurt (or fat-free sour cream) (1/2 cup / 4 oz)
- 4 egg whites
- Drain the pork, reserving the broth from the jar.
- To the broth, add everything from the corn starch down to and including the pepper. Whisk. Zap in microwave for 1 minute on high. Whisk again, zap for a further 3 minutes.
- Drain asparagus and okra.
- To the thickened meat stock add the pork, asparagus and okra.
- Spray a 2 litre (quart) baking dish. Put the pork mixture in.
- Set aside.
- Drain the squash and sweet potato well; pressing a bit.
- Put the drained sweet potato and squash in a bowl. Mash, then stir in the rosemary, salt sub, parmesan and yoghurt.
- Beat the egg whites to a stiff peak, then fold into the sweet potato mixture.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture on top of the pork mixture.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray (optional, aids in browning the top.)
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until piping hot.
- If you desire the top to be browner, put under the oven broiler for final 5 minutes, watching carefully.
You can use all sweet potato if you want. (Half squash was used to reduce the calories.)
For the egg white, you can use 12 tablespoons of egg white from a carton. (3 tablespoons of carton egg white = 1 egg white from a shell egg.)
Suggestion: save the delicious veggie stock from the asparagus, okra, sweet potato and squash. Freeze in a tub for use in a soup.
Per 1 cup (350 g /12 oz)
- 433 calories, 422 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.