Pork Pie with Sweet Potato Crust is a hearty, easy cool weather dish. The recipe takes a few jars of plain home canned veg from your pantry shelves and transforms them quickly into a deep-dish meat pie they will want more of.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Home canned okra
Pork Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
- 1 litre jar home-canned pork (1 US quart)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned asparagus (Or green beans. 1 US pint)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned okra (1 US pint)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Maggi seasoning sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (OR salt sub).
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned sweet potato (1 US pint)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned squash (1 US pint)
- ½ teaspoon rosemary (ground)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parmesan (optional)
- 125 ml yoghurt (fat-free or regular. Or sour cream. ½ cup / 4 oz)
- 4 egg whites
- Drain the pork, reserving the broth from the jar.
- To the broth, add everything from the corn starch down to and including the pepper. Whisk. Zap in microwave for 1 minute on high. Whisk again, zap for a further 3 minutes.
- Drain asparagus and okra.
- To the thickened meat stock add the pork, asparagus and okra.
- Spray a 2 litre (quart) baking dish. Put the pork mixture in.
- Set aside.
- Drain the squash and sweet potato well; pressing a bit.
- Put the drained sweet potato and squash in a bowl. Mash, then stir in the rosemary, salt sub, parmesan and yoghurt.
- Beat the egg whites to a stiff peak, then fold into the sweet potato mixture.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture on top of the pork mixture.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray (optional, aids in browning the top.)
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until piping hot.
- If you desire the top to be browner, put under the oven broiler for final 5 minutes, watching carefully.
Per 1 cup (350 g /12 oz)
- 433 calories, 422 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.