A quick-to-use seasoning mix for your refried beans. It makes them both fragrant and delicious! Feel free of course to adjust to your taste and preferences!
The cocoa is optional; chocolate is used as a cooking spice in Mexico, and it lends your refried beans a wonderful depth of flavour.
Tip: A few tablespoons of tomato powder , if you make it, is also awesome added to this.
Yield: 2 cups (300 g) of dry mix.
Refried Bean Seasoning Mix
A quick-to-use seasoning mix for your refried beans.
Place all ingredients in a jar or container, put lid on, and shake.
Store in a sealed container.
- Use 3 tablespoons / 40 g per 4 cups of cooked beans being made into refried beans;
- Pro tip: Also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of lime or lemon juice (fresh or bottled) per 4 cups of cooked beans being made into refried beans — the citrus acidity really wakes up the flavour of the beans and takes the flat-tasting edge off them.
Cooking with canning
Per 1 tablespoon of the dry mix.
- 36 calories per tablespoon
- with salt, 970 mg sodium per tablespoon; with salt sub, 182 mg sodium per tablespoon
- if you have any dried tomato powder, a few tablespoons of that makes a nice addition to the mix
With salt sub