This turkey curry is quick to make, nutritious and light in calories.
But, thanks to some clever quick taste hits, and your home canning, it’s absolutely delicious and will have them licking the plates.
A generous 1/2 lb (250 g) serving is only 335 calories / 9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus®.
Serve with rice, or on top of a Squash and Carrot Mash
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Yield: 4 x 1 cup (250 g) servings
- 1 litre jar home-canned turkey (quart jar)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned mushrooms (pint jar)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tbsp coconut milk powder (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons PB2 peanut butter powder (10 g)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low-sodium. Or regular)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or lemon juice. Fresh or bottled.)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or salt sub)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- dash hot sauce
- coriander (aka cilantro. Leaves, fresh or tube. To taste, optional)
Drain turkey, reserve all broth.
In 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the turkey broth, put 3 tablespoons of corn starch. Whisk.
Add the coconut milk powder, the peanut butter powder, the garlic powder, the onion powder, and the curry powder. Whisk again, don't worry about any lumps yet.
Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes.
Add remaining broth from jar.
Whisk well, don't worry about any lumps yet.
Nuke in microwave for 5 minutes.
Stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, salt sub, sesame oil, hot sauce (if desired) and fresh coriander leaves (if desired). Whisk.
Stir in the drained turkey and mushrooms, zap for another 5 minutes or so until piping hot.
Instead of powdered coconut milk, you could use 1/2 cup of canned thick coconut milk and add another tablespoon of cornstarch (will affect calories.) Or, omit. Coconut milk powder is incredibly handy to have on hand because it keeps forever, you mix up only as much as you need at a time (instead of opening a can most of which you might waste), and, it has a fraction of the calories and fat of canned coconut milk, with all the taste.
Instead of PB2 powder, you can use full-fat regular peanut butter (will affect calories.) PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter has all the taste of peanut butter, with a fraction of the calories and fat, so it’s a great cheat. A jar lasts a long time stored in a cool, dark place.
You can freeze the broth off the mushrooms for another use.
Optional: if you have home canned green bell peppers, you can add those (drained and chopped).
Serving size: 1 cup (250 g / 1/2 lb)
- 334 calories, 346 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 9 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.