This is a DIY mix for cornbread.
This mix is great to have on hand when you are hungry and want a healthy accompaniment to a meal, or want a snack, fast!
It’s really low-calorie and low-fat, but still moist.
As usual with cornbread, best served hot!
Yield: 12 cups / 2.5 kg of dry mix. Enough for 12 x half-dozen batches of muffins
Yield: 12 cups / 2.5 kg of dry mix
Serving size: 1 muffin
Fat: 3 g
- 1.5 kg cornmeal (8 cups)
- 250 g whole wheat flour or wheat germ (2 cups)
- 200 g buttermilk powder (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons salt or salt sub (we used Herbamare sodium-free)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons powdered egg or egg replacer
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Stored in a sealed container, jar or bag in a cool, dark place.
To make 6 muffins: Take 200 g (1 cup) of mix. Put mix in bowl, make well in middle. Add 175 ml (3/4 cup / 6 oz) of water, and 1 tbsp oil. Stir just to blend thoroughly. Divide amongst greased muffin tins or ungreased silicon muffin cups. Bake: 20 to 25 minutes at 175 C / 350 F, or until a skewer comes out clean in middle.
To make cornbread: Take 400 g (2 cups) of mix. Put mix in bowl, make well in middle. Add 350 ml (1 1/2 cups / 12 oz) of water, and 2 tbsp oil. Stir just to blend thoroughly. Pour into greased 20 cm / 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) pan Bake: 35 to 45 minutes at 175 C / 350 F, or until a skewer comes out clean in middle.
- If you need it to stay a bit moister, longer, then either add an extra tbsp oil or 50 g ( 1/2 cup / 2 oz) of finely-grated carrot (half a medium-sized carrot.)
- Try reducing water to 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) and adding 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) fat-free sour cream for a “cakier”, less-crumbly crumb.
- You can use wheat germ instead of whole wheat flour.
- Instead of oil, you could use melted butter, margarine or shortening.
Based on the cornbread recipe in: Robertson, Laurel, Carol Flanders and Bronwen Godfrey. Laurel’s Kitchen. Petaluma, California: Nilgiri Press. 1983. Page 170.
Per 1 muffin / one -sixth of a batch made up.
(Based on using Herbamare Sodium – Free salt sub.)
- 81 calories, 64 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 2 points+ per muffin (3 SmartPoints)
Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal.
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.