This is a Tex-Mex style casserole with a crispy cornbread crust that you can make almost entirely out of your food storage. The only “fresh” thing you need is cheese. You could skip that, but hey, what’s Tex-Mex without some melted cheese?
Serve with a side salad or veg of your choice such as corn, etc.
This recipe uses:
- Cornbread mix
- Home canned ground beef
- Home canned kidney beans or home canned pinto beans
- Taco Seasoning Mix
- Home-canned salsa
- Minnesota Mix
Yield: 9 x ½ cup (200 g / 7 oz) servings
Oven temperature: 175 C / 350 F
Fiesta cornbread casserole
- Spray 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) pan well. Set aside.
- Start heating oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Make up 1 batch cornbread mix as per regular directions, pour into pan.
- Drain beef and beans. Put in microwave-safe dish. Zap in microwave 2 minutes, covered.
- Pour mixture into sieve to drain for a minute.
- Take drained mixture, mix with taco seasoning.
- Put meat and bean mixture over dough in dollops.
- Next, dollop the salsa over the layer of meat mixture.
- Scatter the cheese on top of that.
- Open the jar of Minnesota Mix stewed tomatoes, spoon all around to cover.
- Put into oven.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes out of oven before cutting.
Instead of Minnesota Mix tomatoes, you could use a similar-sized jar of any stewed tomatoes.
Serving size: ½ cup (200 g / 7 oz) (1 / 9th the dish)
- 204 calories, 299 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 5 points;
- Weight Watchers SmartPoints®: 5 points.