Beef, Kale, and Mushroom Pie is a delicious deep-dish meat pie high in protein and fibre, with a light flaky crust. You can have it in the oven in no time, thanks to your home canning.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Beef, Kale, and Mushroom Pie
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned beef (1 US pint)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned mushrooms (1 US pint)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned kale (1 US pint)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon oregano (or another dried herb)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Maggi seasoning sauce (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (OR salt sub)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- Drain kale. Chop; press again gently in sieve to remove a bit more liquid. Put in a bowl.
- Drain beef and mushrooms, capturing the liquid. Add the drained solids to a bowl.
- To the beef and mushroom broth, add everything from the cornstarch down to the pepper. Whisk.
- Zap in microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk again, then zap for a final 2 more minutes.
- Start heating oven to 225 C (425 F)
- Stir the solids into the sauce. Heat to piping hot in the microwave -- about 5 minutes.
- Spray a 2 litre (quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Transfer the piping hot beef mixture into the baking dish.
- Cover with 3 sheets of phyllo pastry, tucking in around the edges.
- Spray the top lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until top is nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
Per ¾ cup (150 g /5 oz):
- 304 calories, 547 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.