Beef, Kale, and Mushroom Pie is a delicious deep-dish meat pie high in protein and fibre, with a light flaky crust. You can have it in the oven in no time, thanks to your home canning.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Beef, Kale, and Mushroom Pie
Yield: 6 servings of ¾ cup / 150 g. 1 kg in total
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned beef (1 US pint)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned mushrooms (1 US pint)
- 1 half-litre jar home-canned kale (1 US pint)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon oregano (or another dried herb)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Maggi seasoning sauce (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (OR salt sub)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
Drain kale. Chop; press again gently in sieve to remove a bit more liquid. Put in a bowl.
Drain beef and mushrooms, capturing the liquid. Add the drained solids to a bowl.
To the beef and mushroom broth, add everything from the cornstarch down to the pepper. Whisk.
Zap in microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk again, then zap for a final 2 more minutes.
Start heating oven to 225 C (425 F)
Stir the solids into the sauce. Heat to piping hot in the microwave -- about 5 minutes.
Spray a 2 litre (quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
Transfer the piping hot beef mixture into the baking dish.
Cover with 3 sheets of phyllo pastry, tucking in around the edges.
Spray the top lightly with cooking spray.
Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until top is nicely browned.
You should have about 250 to 300 ml (around 8 to 10 oz / about 1 cup and a bit) of reserved beef and mushroom broth.
Tip! You can make up the mixture ahead. Keep in fridge until ready to use, and bring to piping hot in microwave before putting in baking dish.
You could also make a regular pie crust for this, adjusting the cooking temperature and time accordingly. Calories will go up.
Per ¾ cup (150 g /5 oz):
- 304 calories, 547 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.