Delicious blueberry and lime taste with the lovely illicitness of a bit of tequila slipped in right at the end.
More of an afternoon jam than a breakfast jam, probably.
You can use either Ball or Bernardin No Sugar Needed box pectin, or, Ball RealFruit™ Low or No-Sugar Needed Flex Batch Pectin.
Jar size choices: Either 125 ml (½ cup / 4 oz) OR quarter-litre (½ US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 5 x quarter-litre (½ US pint) jars
Headspace: 1 cm (¼ inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes either size jar
Blueberry lime and tequila jam
- 1 kg blueberries (whole. 7 cups / 2.2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (2 oz / 50 ml)
- 200 ml fruit juice (unsweetened, pure. ¾ cup / 6 oz)
- 1 box Ball / Bernardin No-Sugar Needed Pectin (49 g / 57 g / 1.75 oz)
- 200 g sugar (white. 1 cup / 8 oz) OR 1 ½ teaspoons liquid stevia
- 5 tablespoons tequila (75 ml)
- Wash and stem blueberries.
- Wash 1 lime. Take 1 tablespoon fine zest off it. Juice the lime to get the required amount of juice indicated above.
- Mash the blueberries a layer at a time in something like a pie plate using something like a potato masher.
- Add to a large pot.
- Add to pot fruit juice, lime juice & lime zest, and stir.
- Sprinkle the pectin over, stir until the pectin is dissolved.
- Put on burner, stir in sugar, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Then, boil hard for 3 minutes.
- Immediately turn burner off and remove pot from heat.
- Skim off any foam, if there is any.
- Stir in tequila.
- Ladle into quarter-litre (½ US pint) jars
- Leave 1 cm (¼ inch) headspace.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
Information about no-sugar needed pectins.
- Ball / Bernardin No Sugar Needed from the small boxes is the same; it’s made in the same plant and just labelled with different brand names on the packaging. Instead of the box, you can use the Ball No Sugar Needed Flex Batch pectin from a canister. You’ll want 3 level tablespoons.
- If you want to use 2 tablespoons fine lime zest, you may.
- For the fruit juice, you can use cranberry, apple, or grape.
- You can reduce the sugar, or use the same volume amount of granulated Splenda®, or use 1 ½ teaspoons of liquid stevia. For stevia, we’d recommend Better Stevia liquid stevia.
- Instead of tequila, you can try gin, or vodka.
- After mashing the blueberries, you should end up with 1 litre (4 cups / 32 fluid oz) of mashed. A tidge over or under is fine. But if you measured your berries by weight, you won’t be too far off that.
- If using frozen blueberries, zap from frozen in microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, then mash, retaining any juice that might have come off while thawing.
- Don’t crush or mash the berries in a machine, it will damage the pectin.
- Boil hard means it should bubble for the whole 3 minutes.
- You could also use the 125 ml (½ cup) smaller sampler size jars. But this recipe hasn’t been tested for larger jars.
Source: Light Blueberry Jam – No Sugar Needed Pectin. Bernardin web site. Accessed August 2015.
- Replaced part of the fruit juice with lime juice;
- Added lime zest;
- Added tequila.
Also consulted: Blueberry-Lime Jam. In: Ball Blue Book. Muncie, Indiana: Healthmark LLC / Jarden Home Brands. Edition 37. 2014. Page 50.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Per 2 tablespoons: 22 calories, 0 mg sodium
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 2 tablespoons: 0 points; 3 to 6 tablespoons: 1 point
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.