This is a rustic side dish with a splash of sophistication: an easy way to jazz up a jar of green beans and a jar of carrots. (This is a “how to use your home canning” recipe.)
Green beans and carrots provençal
- 1 tablespoon duck fat (or goose fat. Or 2 tbsp oil.
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence (or mixed herbs of your choice)
- 1 half-litre jar home canned green beans (½ litre / 1 US pint / 16 oz)
- 1 half-litre jar home canned carrots (½ litre / 1 US pint / 16 oz)
- 2 tablespoons French vermouth (or white wine)
- Melt the duck fat in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and the herbes de Provence, cook a minute or two.
- Add the drained green beans and carrots.
- Fold and stir gently to mix.
- Let warm through for about 5 minutes, gently folding over occasionally.
- In last two minutes of cooking sprinkle the vermouth over.
- Serve piping hot.
Serving size: 1 cup (250 g)
- 127 calories, 94 mg sodium
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com