This Maple Walnut Syrup is a delicious, classic syrup that makes a wonderful gift.
Notice that there’s no acidity in the ingredients at all. Instead, the recipe relies on an over-the-top high sugar content to make the product safe by reducing water activity. It serves as a good example of one of the rare, small number of recipes that wouldn’t be safe to make a reduced-sugar version of. So besides being a delicious, once a year treat you may want to afford yourself, it’s also a good learning exercise.
Note, though, that it can be quite expensive to make this owing to the cost of the ingredients, which are not cheap anymore. So there’s another reason this would be an occasional treat, besides the eye-popping number of calories! So just enjoy when you do have it to hand!
Jar size choices: Quarter-litre (½ US pint)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 4 x quarter-litre (½ US pint) jars
Headspace: 1 cm (¼ inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes
Maple walnut syrup
- In a large saucepan off the heat put the corn syrup, maple syrup and water. Stir.
- Add the sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Put on stove, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until it has reduced and thickened a bit. Stir frequently. Don't overcook or you will get a taffy.
- Stir in walnuts, simmer another 5 minutes.
- Ladle into quarter-litre (½ US pint) jars.
- Leave 1 cm (¼ inch) headspace.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
Source: Maple-Walnut Syrup. In: Ball Blue Book. Muncie, Indiana: Healthmark LLC / Jarden Home Brands. Edition 37. 2014. Page 130.
Modifications made: None.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Per 2 tablespoons: 133 calories, 1 mg sodium
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: Per tablespoon, 2 points.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.