This rice dish is healthy and fast. It’s made in a pressure cooker.
If you prefer to cook rice in a regular pot but still want to try this recipe, you will need to adjust cooking time, and probably the amount of cooking liquid as well.
To be clear: this is a cooking with canning recipe, not a recipe for canning.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 10 x 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz) servings
This recipe uses your home canning to bring together a zero-work tasty rice dish with a Mexican flair.
Put rice in pot.
[Optional: Add a tablespoon or two of oil, sauté the rice a bit first.]
Add jar of Mexican sauce in pot.
Stir in chicken bouillon powder.
Drain mushrooms and bell peppers, saving water.
Add drained mushrooms and bell peppers to pot.
Add 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) of the reserved water to pot. (If not using the home canned mushrooms or peppers, then just add 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) of tap water.)
Add any other seasonings desired such as cumin, fresh cilantro, oregano, dried celery, garlic powder, etc.
Put lid on pressure cooker.
Cook on high for 18 minutes.
- Instead of fresh onion, you could use a few tablespoons of dried. Or a teaspoon or two of onion powder.
- WHITE RICE INSTEAD OF BROWN. Use same amount of rice. Increase added water by another 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) . Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
Serving size: 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz)
- 151 calories, 220 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 4 points; SmartPoints®: 5 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.