This is a recipe for a quick, easy rice side dish that makes good use of your hand-canned goods including the liquid in the jar to provide a flavourful cooking water that the rice absorbs.
The added veg also help to bulk out the dish, reducing the calories in it per serving.
Note: This is a “how to use your home canning” recipe.
- RICE STEAMER: Empty the peppers and the mushrooms including water into steamer bowl. Mix in cumin, then mix in rice. Add boiling water from kettle as / if needed to top up rice by 3 cm (1 inch). Cover, and let steam for about 45 minutes. (OR follow directions for your own rice steamer.)
- STOVE TOP POT: Empty the peppers and the mushrooms including water into pot. Mix in cumin. Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Add boiling water from kettle as / if needed to top up rice by 3 cm (1 inch). Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Serving size: 1 cup (125 g)
- 99 calories, 6 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 3 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.