A quick, easy rice side dish that makes good use of the canning liquid to provide flavourful cooking water that the rice absorbs.
The added veg also help to bulk out the dish, reducing the calories in it per serving.
Yield: Makes about 1200 g / 10 cups of rice.
Serving size: 1 cup / 125 g
Fat: .5 g
- 1 jar of home canned bell peppers (1/2 litre / US pint)
- 1 jar of home canned mushrooms (1/4 litre / ½ US pint)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 200 g uncooked brown or white rice (7 oz / 1 cup)
- RICE STEAMER: Empty the peppers and the mushrooms including water into steamer bowl. Mix in cumin, then mix in rice. Add boiling water from kettle as / if needed to top up rice by 3 cm (1 inch). Cover, and let steam for about 45 minutes. (OR follow directions for your own rice steamer.)
- STOVE TOP POT: Empty the peppers and the mushrooms including water into pot. Mix in cumin. Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Add boiling water from kettle as / if needed to top up rice by 3 cm (1 inch). Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Serving size: 1 cup (125 g)
- 99 calories, 6 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 3 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.