This is a delicious, quick potato salad you can make from your dry storage.
Ideally, for the best plate appeal, you’ll want to can waxy potatoes for this, such as red-skinned potatoes in North America, so that you don’t end up with a potato salad that is mushy in texture. But other potatoes will do.
Just remember the golden rule about all potato salads: chill for at least a few hours before serving.
Double recipe if you wish.
NOTE: Only use this recipe if you have pressure-canned your potatoes exactly following USDA standards (also used in Ball and Bernardin books.)
This recipe uses:
Yield: 4 x 1 cup (250 g / 8 oz) servings
- 1 litre jar home-canned salad potatoes (1 quart jar)
- 100 g onion (finely chopped. 1/2 cup / 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon DIY Ranch Mix
- 4 tablespoons Miracle Whip (fat-free. Or mayo type dressing of your choice. 1/4 cup / 2 oz / 50 ml) OR Mayo, etc of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Or salt sub. optional)
- bacon bits (reduced fat. Optional)
- parsley (fresh or dried for colour. Optional)
Open the jar of salad potatoes, empty into a large bowl. Dump any water off into the sink. Cover with fresh water from tap, and wash any starch residue off.
Set aside to let drain well through a sieve for a few minutes.
Wash, peel and chop the onion.
Mix all the ingredients from the prepared onion down to and including the salt, if using.
Mix the potatoes and dressing together. Chill for 2 hours, more is even better.
Serve sprinkled with the bacon bits and parsley, if using.
For a ranchier taste, feel free to add another teaspoon or so of the ranch mix.
If you have any sour cream to hand, it’s nice to use half mayo (or Miracle Whip) and half sour cream. Gives a lighter, tangier taste.
Serving size: 1 cup (250 g / 8 oz)
- 225 calories, 152 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 5 points; SmartPoints®: 7 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.