This is a really super-fast way to make tarts with your home-canned pie fillings. The spring roll wrapper tart shell makes a easy, really low-calorie crust.
Of course your home-made pastry will always taste better, but sometimes you have to produce something out of thin air when there is no time, or, you just want something a lot lighter in calories.
This recipe uses:
Oven temperature: 200 C / 400 F
Spring Roll Tart Shells
- 12 spring roll wrappers (frozen)
- 1 half-litre apple pie filling (1 US pint jar. Or any home-canned pie filling of your choice)
- Thaw spring roll wrappers.
- Start oven heating to 200 C / 400 F.
- Line each cup of a muffin tin with a thawed spring roll wrapper. Fold each wrapper over 3 or 4 times to fit cup, thereby also creating several layers.
- Repeat till all 12 cups are lined.
- Optional: lightly spray the pastry in each cup with 2 or 3 sprays of cooking spray.
- Bake for about 5 minutes at 200 C / 400 F until browned and crisp.
- Remove from oven and muffin cups; let cool on wire rack.
- Fill each tart shell with a few spoonfuls of pie filling, till jar is used up.
- Optional: for serving, top with a spoonful of pudding, custard, double-cream, whip cream, etc.
There is no need to grease the muffin cups. We used medium-sized muffin cups. Store in refrigerator in covered container. Tip: only fill with pie filling as many as you are going to use at one time. Keep the empty ones unfilled (these can be stored unrefrigerated) until ready for use. That way, they won't go soggy in the fridge from the pie fillngs.
Varies based on pie filling and spring roll wrappers you are using.
Leave a Reply