You can use this turkey salad as a filling for a sandwich or a pita pocket, or put a scoop of it on a salad plate.
Added celery and nuts (optional) give it a bit of crunch.
To be clear: this is a cooking with canning recipe, not a recipe for home canning.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 5 x 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz) servings
Turkey and Grape Salad
- 125 g celery (medium-diced. 1 cup / 4 oz / 2 medium stalks)
- 30 g green onion (chopped. ½ cup / 1 oz / 2 medium bunches)
- 100 g pecans (coarsely broken or coarsely chopped .½ cup / 3 oz) (optional)
- 1 half-litre home-canned grapes (Sliced seedless grapes (1 pint jar. 200 g / 2 cups / 6 oz, measured after draining ))
- 1 litre home-canned turkey (1 quart jar. 3 to 4 cups / 1 kg / 2 lbs drained.)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh, chopped. optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 175 ml mayonnaise (¾ cup / 6 oz)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or salt sub)
- Wash and chop the celery, add to a large bowl.
- Wash and chop the green onion, add to bowl.
- [Optional]Chop the nuts, add to bowl.
- Drain the grapes, slice grapes in half, add to bowl.
- Drain the turkey, break up large chunks if needed, add to bowl.
- Mix together the parsley (optional), lemon juice and mayo to make the dressing.
- Add dressing to bowl.
- Toss all carefully to mix well.
- Chill a bit in fridge, covered.
- Instead of pecans, you could try cashews, peanuts, sliced water chestnuts, or croutons. Or, just omit.
- For the mayonnaise, we used fat-free. You could use any mayo of course, or whipped salad dressing such as Miracle Whip, or Salad Cream in the UK. A blend of any of those with low-fat sour cream, if you have on hand, is nice for a bit of added tang to lighten the dish.
- Nice made a few hours in advance and chilled in the fridge, to allow the flavours to marry.
- If you have any DIY Ranch Dressing Mix to hand, a tablespoon or two in the dressing could be nice.
- Store leftovers in the fridge covered and use within 2 to 3 days.
Inspired by: Rattray, Diana. Turkey Salad with Red Grapes. 18 July 2017. Accessed September 2017 at https://southernfood.about.com/od/turkeysalad/r/Turkey-Salad-With-Red-Grapes.htm.
Serving size: 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz)
- 344 calories, 513 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 9 points; SmartPoints®: 9 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.