Before mass commercial standardization, there were so many different kinds of ketchup, and apple ketchup was one of them.
Home canning allows you to experience a glimpse of the vast variety that has been lost.
This ketchup is delicious with pork, and curries.
Some user reviews:
“I made the best sandwich with the Apple Ketchup I’ve ever eaten: ham, cheddar, mayonnaise on multigrain bread with dollops of the Apple Ketchup. Perfection.” — Douglas Williams, author. Toronto.
“I tried the apple ketchup with a ham & cheese sandwich — very tasty!”— Paula Driedger, Leamington, Ontario.
Jar size choices: Quarter-litre (½ US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz) OR half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz)
Processing method: Either water-bath or steam canning
Yield: 6 x quarter-litre (½ US pint / 250 ml) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (½ inch)
Processing time: 15 minutes either size jar
- 1 litre apple sauce (unsweetened. 1 US quart / 4 cups / 32 fl. oz)
- 350 g onion (minced. About 1 ¾ cup, finely minced. ¾ lb)
- 500 ml cider vinegar (5% acidity or higher. 2 cups / 16 oz)
- 150 g brown sugar (1 cup scant packed / 6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (fresh, grated. OR from a tube.)
- Combine everything in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. It should mound a bit on the spoon, as ketchup does.
- Pour into quarter-litre (½ US pint) or half-litre (US pint) jars.
- Leave 1 cm (¼ inch) headspace.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process either size jars for 15 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
- Best after at least a month of jar time.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
- You can just mince the onion in the food processor with the pulse button, if you like.
- For the fresh ginger, you can just use 1 teaspoon of minced ginger from a tube. You can also use ¼ teaspoon ground instead.
- For additional flavouring, you may wish to try adding any or all of these: ½ teaspoon ground cloves, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Instead of the salt, you can use a non-bitter, non-clouding salt sub. We have found Herbamare Sodium-Free performs well in that regard.
- You can reduce the sugar, or use the same volume amount of granulated Splenda®, or use 1 teaspoon of liquid stevia. For stevia, we’d recommend Better Stevia liquid stevia .
- If you want to make the applesauce, you’ll need about 1 kg / 2 lbs of apples to make the amount required.
Ziedrich, Linda. The Joy of Pickling. Boston, Massachusetts: The Harvard Common Press. 2016. Page 405.
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml
- 27 calories, 150 mg sodium
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml
- 15 calories, 1 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 2 tablespoons: 0 points; 3 to 8 tablespoons: 1 point
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.