Cranberry and Apple Mustard is a delicious, semi-sweet smooth mustard. It goes nicely on a wide variety of things; surprisingly nice even on things such as hamburgers. It’s also very good with cheeses.
This recipe is from Bernardin.
See also: other cranberry products.
Jar size choices: Either 125 ml (½ cup / 4 oz) or ¼ litre (½ US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 4 x ¼ litre (250 ml / 8 oz) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (½ inch)
Processing time: Either size jar 15 minutes
Cranberry and Apple Mustard
- 350 g cranberries (3 cups / 12 oz / standard North American bag)
- 150 ml cider vinegar , 5% or higher (⅔ cup / 5 oz)
- 2 apples (washed, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped. 350 g / 12 oz before prep, 200 g / 7 oz after.)
- 125 g sugar (white. ½ cup / 4 oz) OR ½ teaspoon liquid stevia
- 75 ml honey (liquid. ⅓ cup / 3 oz)
- 6 tablespoons mustard powder ( 40 g / 1.5 oz in weight)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (OR non-bitter, non-clouding salt sub)
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- Wash and sort cranberries. Put in a large stainless pot along with the vinegar.
- Cover the pot, bring to a boil, then let boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, assemble all your other ingredients from the apple down to and including the turmeric.
- When the 5 minutes is up, add the remaining ingredients to the pot, cover, bring back to a boil, then lower to a good simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Taste, adjust taste with a bit more sweetener if desired.
- Ladle into 125 ml (4 oz) or ¼ litre (½ US pint / 8 oz) jars.
- Leave 2 cm (½ inch) headspace.
- Debubble, adjust headspace if needed.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars for 15 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For stevia, non-bitter Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
For the salt sub, we used Herbamare which is non-bitter and non-clouding.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
Cranberry Mustard. Bernardin. Accessed June 2016.
Per 1 tablespoon:
- 21 calories, 74 mg sodium
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 1 tablespoon:
- 14 calories, 0 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 tablespoon: 0 points; 2 tablespoons: 1 point
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
So have you actually tasted this? I followed exactly and it tastes awful. Will it get better with age? I read that mustard needs to mellow. I am going to open it in a few days and retaste. If it doesn’t taste better I am afraid I will have to throw it out.