Creamed Spinach is a delicious, quick, nutritious vegetable side dish you can make almost entirely from your dry storage.
This makes a great side to roast supper plates. It’s very rich and satisfying.
Instead of spinach, you can use another green such as kale or Swiss chard and it will taste as great.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 6 x 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz) servings
- Start oven heating to 200 C (400 F)
- Lightly spray or grease a casserole dish that will hold about 1 litre (3 to 4 cups) in volume; set aside.
- Drain the spinach.
- Put out on chopping board, chop up a bit. pressing some water out.
- Put in a microwave-safe dish, zap for 2 minutes on high, then remove from microwave and let excess water drain out again.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe jug mix the water, SOS mix, and Parmesan cheese.
- Zap in microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, whisk, zap on high for another minute.
- Remove from microwave, fold in the drained spinach, zap on high for two minutes.
- Pour the spinach mixture into your prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with the panko crumbs.
- Spray top gently with cooking spray to aid browning (optional)
- Bake at 200 C (400 F) for about 20 minutes or until bubbling and top is browning.
- Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Instead of spinach, you could use kale, or Swiss chard.
- Instead of Panko crumbs, you can use bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or, omit.
- For a richer sauce, you can add a few tablespoons of sour cream, fat-free or otherwise.
Serving size: 100 g (½ cup / ⅙th the dish)
- 116 calories, 442 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 3 points; SmartPoints®: 3 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.