Home-canned pickled jalapenos are great to have on hand.
They taste way better than tinned ones from the store, because they are missing the tinny taste. They taste very fresh.
Using jars of different sizes increases your chance of having just the right jar size on hand to open, reducing wastage.
These are handy as a garnish on top of a black bean and corn salad, in dirty rice dishes, as a layer in a Tex-Mex dip, etc.
If you have a pressure canner, you have the option to can jalapenos as plain jalapeno peppers.
Jar size choices: Either 125 ml (4 oz) OR quarter-litre (½ US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz) OR half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 5 x half-litre (US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (½ inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes regardless of size chosen
- Wash, stem, seed the peppers.
- Slice into 3 cm (1 inch) slices or rings.
- Pack into jars of desired sizes.
- Leave 2 cm (½ inch) headspace.
- In a pot, bring to a boil the vinegar, water and garlic; simmer on low for 5 minutes, then strain out and discard the garlic.
- Add a pinch of Pickle Crisp to each jar (optional).
- Divvy the vinegar mixture out amongst the jars, leaving 2 cm (½ inch) headspace for all jar sizes.
- If you are short of the vinegar mixture, top up the jars with pure vinegar.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars (any of the 3 sizes) for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
Hot Peppers. In: Ball Blue Book. Muncie, Indiana: Healthmark LLC / Jarden Home Brands. Edition 37. 2014. Page 92.
Modifications made: none.
Serving size: 30 g / ¼ cup
Per 30 g / ¼ cup: 9 calories, 0 mg sodium
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: Per 30 g / ¼ cup, 0 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
Cooking from canning recipes