This squash and carrot mash takes less than 5 minutes to make.
It goes beautifully with Sunday roast style dinners.
Just imagine how much scraping, peeling, chopping and pre-cooking there would be to make this, without the jars of home canned ingredients ready to go!
It’s really low-cal too: just 130ish calories for a 350 g (¾ lb) serving.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Home canned turnip (optional)
Home canned parsnip (optional)
Squash and carrot mash
- ½ litre jar home canned carrots (pint jar)
- ½ litre jar home canned squash (pint jar)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (dried)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (dried, ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt (OR salt sub)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- nutmeg (freshly ground to taste. Optional but nice.)
- 75 ml sour cream (fat-free. ⅓ cup / 5 tablespoons)
- Drain the squash and carrots.
- Mash with a potato masher. Let mash stand in a sieve for a few minutes to drain more liquid off.
- Put in a large microwave-safe bowl or jug.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Zap in microwave for about 5 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.
Per 350 g (1 ¼ cups / 12 oz) :
- 138 calories, 170 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 3 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.