This homemade DIY Taco Seasoning Mix is far less expensive than buying the store packets.
There’s another advantage: the store packages are very high in salt. You can make this mix very low in sodium (or even salt free if you wish) so that it’s far healthier.
Yield: 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of dry mix.
Refried Bean Seasoning Mix
A quick-to-use seasoning mix for your refried beans.
- 65 g ground cumin (12 tablespoons / ¾ cup)
- 65 g salt (4 tablespoons. Or salt sub)
- 30 g ground black pepper (4 tablespoons)
- 30 g onion powder (4 tablespoons)
- 45 g garlic powder (4 tablespoons)
- 10 g oregano (4 tablespoons, dried)
- 25 g cocoa powder (optional, 4 tablespoons, unsweetened)
- 10 g chili powder (5 teaspoons)
Place all ingredients in a jar or container, put lid on, and shake.
Store in a sealed container.
- 3 tablespoons equals one package of seasoning mix from the store.
Canning , freezing, dehydrating… food preserving and homesteading group files on Facebook
Cooking with canning
Per 1 tablespoon of the dry mix.
- 19 calories, 353 mg sodium
If using a salt sub, sodium goes down to 69 mg per tablespoon.
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 2 tablespoons, 1 point; 3 tablespoons 2 points.
- Weight Watchers SmartPoints®: 1 tablespoon, 0 points; 2 to 3 tablespoons, 1 point.
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.