Pickled Green Tomato Relish is a classic made from those end of summer jewels, green tomatoes.
The recipe is easily cut in half for a smaller batch, but bear in mind that small jars of this also make welcomed hostess gifts, etc.
This is a recipe from So Easy to Preserve.
“So I merely slammed the door behind me and went down and made some green-tomato pickle. Somebody had to do it.” — Eudora Welty, “Why I Live at the P.O.”
Jar size choices: Quarter-litre (½ US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz) OR half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 8 x half-litre (US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (½ inch)
Processing time: 5 minutes either jar size
Green Tomato Relish
Yield: 8 x half-litre jars (1 US pint)
- 5 kg green tomatoes (finely chopped. 5 US quarts / 5 litres / 10 lbs)
- 750 g onion (finely chopped. 6 cups / 1.5 lbs. Measured after prep.)
- 1.25 kg bell peppers (mixed colours. e.g. red and green), cored, seeded and finely chopped. (measured after prepping. 8 cups. 2 ¾ lbs. Measured after prep.)
- 175 g pickling salt (½ cup / 6 oz. OR non-bitter, non-clouding salt sub)
- 1 litre water (1 US quart / 32 oz)
- 1 litre vinegar (5% acidity or higher. 1 US quart / 32 oz)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 800 g sugar (white. 4 cups / 32 oz)
- 100 ml prepared mustard (⅓ cup / 3 oz)
Put the prepped veg (tomato, onion, pepper) in a large pot.
Add the water and the salt OR salt sub to the veg; bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes, drain, return back to pan.
Take a portion of the vinegar (about 100 ml / ⅓ cup / 3 oz) and whisk into it the cornstarch.
To the veg mixture in the pot, add the cornstarch mixture, and the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil; let simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
Pack hot into quarter-litre (½ US pint) jars or half-litre (US pint) jars.
Leave 2 cm (½ inch) headspace for either size jar.
Debubble, adjust headspace.
Wipe jar rims.
Put lids on.
Process in a water bath or steam canner.
Process either size jar for 5 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
Best after at least a month of jar time.
Processing guideline times below differ slightly from the usual altitude changes. The times apply equally to water-bath canners or steam canners.
|Required processing time in minutes per altitude|
|Jar Size||0 - 300 m / 0 - 1,000 ft||301 - 900 m / 1,001 - 3,000 ft||901 - 1,800 m / 3,001 - 6,000 ft||Above 1,801 m / 6,000|
|¼ litre (½ US pint)||5 min||10 min||10 min||15 min|
|½ litre (US pint)||5 min||10 min||10 min||15 min|
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude (follow the table above.)
For salt substitute if desired, we recommend a non-bitter, non-clouding one such as Herbamare Sodium-Free.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
For the peppers, you want about 6 to 7 (1.5 kg / 3 lbs) whole peppers before starting prep on them.
For the onions, you’ll want about 8 x 7 cm (3 inch) onions, (900 g / 2 lbs), before starting.
It is fine to reduce the amounts of salt and sugar in the recipe. Do not, however, reduce the amount of vinegar, or increase the amounts of low-acid ingredients such as the bell pepper, onion or water.
Instead of the white sugar, you could use the same volume amount of Splenda®, OR 4 teaspoons liquid stevia (we recommend Better Stevia liquid stevia )
Recipe Source and Notes
Pickled Green Tomato Relish. In: Andress, Elizabeth L. and Judy A. Harrison. So Easy to Preserve. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. Bulletin 989. Sixth Edition. 2014. Page 165.
- Noted option for the smaller jars (same processing times);
- Offered sugar and salt free options.
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml:
- 41 calories, 544 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: per 2 tablespoons, 1 point
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml:
- 15 calories, 13 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 2 tablespoons, 0 points; 3 to 7 tablespoons, 1 point; 8 to 13 tablespoons, 2 points.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.